Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Vintage Apple Macintosh II IIfx Computer

Below is an excerpt from an eBay auction for an interesting piece of technology history (background): "You are bidding on this machine for parts, but please note that it does work. Here’s the scoop: At first the machine was dead, so I tested the power supply fuses for continuity (both were good). I then tested the mainboard batteries. One was reading 3.67v, the other was dead. I then installed a fresh battery, and the machine booted. Please note that I can’t supply that second battery (I need it for another machine; the one you need is a 3.6v 1/2 AA, but if you’re looking at this, you probably know that already!). When it booted, all I got was a picture of a floppy with a question mark (I assume that the hard drive is either stuck or has nothing on it, but it seemed to be making the usual spinning noises). Also, the video was cutting in and out (floppy icon, then black screen, then icon, etc), but I was using an adapter with dip switches to hook it up to my flat panel Viewsonic. I have no idea as to the proper dip switch settings (all were on), so that may have been the issue."
Note: These posts are not meant as recommendations of the items, or seller. If you choose to bid on the item do so at your own risk.

No comments: